Facebook allows Page admins to customize messages through Wall Posts and Updates based on fans’ geographic and/or demographic information. This feature is particularly valuable for national or regional brands that communicate the following types of content to their audiences:
• promotion of events to fans in targeted locations
• announcement of store openings or new retail partners to fans, only in relevant markets
• promotional messages with market-specific pricing and/or offers
• promotional messages tailored to female or male only, and/or or certain age group
• messages/updates that need to be communicated in multiple languages
Here are two ways to target your content to your fans:1) Customizing wall posts: Wall posts can be targeted based on A) geography (country/state/city) and/or or B) language. Please note that By State and By City options will appear when you type your country of choice in the Location field. Once you select targeted criteria, your wall post will only be visible to the selected group of fans. See the screenshots below for the placement of the feature and how to update it based on Location and Language.
2) Targeting Updates: Updates are messages from Pages and stored in fans’ message box. The visibility of Updates is much lower than Wall posts. However, some marketers recently reported higher clickthrough rates on Updates because of the recent design change of Facebook inbox. Compared to the wall post custom feature, the Updates functionality provides more targeting options. In addition to geography, admins can target messages based on gender and/or age. Your Update will only go to those who fit your selection criteria.
One important thing to keep in mind that with these features, you won’t be able to reach those fans who have not included their geographic or demographic information on their Facebook profiles.